- Join or Renew
“API POLITICAL COURAGE” AWARD & SCHOLARSHIP
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2013
Officially chartered in 2005, the Asian Pacific American (APA) Democratic Caucus of Alameda County was established to ensure equal participation in and support from the Democratic Party of Alameda County. Its mission is to (1) support, promote and recruit APAs for electoral office and leadership positions and (2) use its influence to shape key policies that affect the APA community.
The “API Political Courage” Award & Scholarship was established to further the educational and public service goals of students of Asian or Pacific Islander ancestry who demonstrate political leadership, courage, and outstanding community service. The award is given to students (undergraduate and graduate) who value the ideals and core principals espoused by the Democratic Party and have the attributes to be the next generation of leaders. As a working award, this program provides an opportunity for selected recipients to further develop their leadership skills, network with community and API elected leaders, and gain knowledge of the democratic process. Completed applications must be postmarked or emailed by
DECEMBER 1, 2013 to be eligible.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2013
Up to two recipients (one male and one female) will be selected to each receive a $500 scholarship. Recipients will be announced at the APA Democratic Caucus Holiday Reception in December 2013 and honored at the Annual Spring Banquet in 2014 (dates TBD). In addition, caucus membership dues will be waived for 2014.
- Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited two or four-year college or university in Alameda County (applicant must also reside in the county)
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the API Community
- Registered Democrat in Alameda County
- Must attend the APA Democratic Caucus Spring Banquet (date TBD) to receive the award. There is no charge for the recipient and one guest to attend.
- Complete at least 25 program participation hours by May 31, 2014. Participation will include:
- Mentorship: Each recipient will be matched with a mentor(s) based on the student’s career goals and public service interest(s).
- Attending community/political events and trainings hosted by the Caucus
- Attending monthly APA Executive Board meetings (held the second Saturday of each month)
- Completing a mutually agreeable project
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of leadership skills, academic achievement, community service and courageous political engagement. All applications will be reviewed by the APA Democratic Caucus Executive Board, and top finalists may be called for an interview. All applicants will be notified by email of the status of their application in mid-December, regardless of outcome.
How to Apply:
- Complete and sign the attached application
- Complete a personal statement
- Submit one letter of recommendation
- Submit two additional references
- Submit academic transcript
- Submit resume
Email or Mail Completed Applications to:
- APA Democratic Caucus of Alameda County
- P.O. Box #223
- San Leandro, CA 94577
If you have any questions, please contact Maritessa Bravo Ares at email@example.com.
Download the application:
- April 16, 2016:
Support the Caucus
Make a donation online, register as a new member, or pay your annual dues online.